September 24, 2013

Family, Friends and Food.

Maybe it's a Southern thing, maybe it's a fat American thing, but food is very much at the center of events in my life. Admittedly, I've been known to be an "emotional eater" (so what if I want to eat a can of olives with a pint of Ben & Jerry's? my life, my bowels...)  but these are the good kinds of food associations! 

So! my family came to visit. Bless their hearts, they DROVE from Tennessee to Utah, along with two dogs, in what ended up being a 36 hour drive rather than a 26 hour drive. Poor things. I hate that drive. It was actually a great visit; I saw my baby brother, whom I haven't seen in nearly 3 years, my ma and sister, as well as my furry sister Daisy and little Rosie. 

We went down to Saratoga Springs for a dinner at my uncle's house. This is was the first time in 4 years that all of us siblings have been together in the same room. It warmed my heart and made me feel extra cool about myself. Did we actually tell each other how happy we were to see each other? Nope. Hug each other? Negative. We just aren't like that. But we did laugh and talk and eat, the true Cranford way. 



It just so happened, that this family dinner was on September 11th. On my way home from work that day, before heading down to our family dinner, I made the terrible mistake of setting the radio station to KBull 93...awful, awful choice. Not only was I stuck in construction traffic, but the radio station decided it was a good idea to do a tribute to all of those who we lost on that sad day. It wasn't just the patriotic songs they were playing, the memories I had myself of that day, or the emotions I was presently feeling  (i.e. P.M.S.), but they were playing the phone messages that people had left their loved ones, as they were waiting for help that wouldn't come at the World Trade Center. Are you kidding me?! Message after message, the only thing those doomed people were concerned about, was making sure their families knew that they loved them. Next, they played an interview recorded by the customer service rep that spoke with Todd Beamer before he and other heroes took control of a plane over Pennsylvania. Heavy stuff. THEN these radio torture masters played clips of the children who had lost parents that day. These little nuggets were saying how much they missed their parents, and how they wanted their parents to have never gone to work that day. Don't worry, by now I was sobbing like a child and had snot running everywhere. As would any human with a heart, it made me reflect on what I have and often take for granted. 

The next day we drove my sister up to BYU-Idaho...and I died of boredom. So did Rosie.



On Friday, I came home from work to find that my angel mother had not only bought some groceries, but cooked an awesome meal AND did all the laundry I had been procrastinating. Aren't moms the best? Thanks, Ma! This exemplifies 1- how awesome my mother is, and 2- how food is used as a symbol of love in my family and throughout the South (and lots of other places, I'm sure). The thought, the effort, the kitchen conversations, full bellies and company shared are all things that I love about sharing meals with others. 

The sharing continued when we went to Vegas the following week. 

Spouse and I shared a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts as we listened to the LOVE soundtrack in preparation for that night's festivities. Sugar and song makes the heart grown strong(er)...? 

Caleb is hot.


At the Beatles LOVE show, we were greeted with a significant seat upgrade, yes please! There was SO much going on during that show. It's hard to explain or understand unless you've seen it yourself. The performers were extremely talented and in such great shape that I almost felt bad for eating all those doughnuts on the drive down. During one song, I'm ashamed to admit that I can't remember which one, parts of the crowd were covered in a giant, white parachute thing that was stretched from the stage outward, between the rows of guests. I remember raising my arms above my head and touching the outstretched parachute, while listening to the music, and closing my eyes, and feeling what must be considered bliss. Being surrounded by music and people you love, and somehow being a part of the show, was enchanting. My favorite segment of the show was "Something". It was incredibly elegant. Almost breathtaking. I wish I could have recorded it for y'all without being thrown out of the performance. Just take my word for it, and go see the show whenever you can. (Maybe find a bootleg version on YouTube?)



A store with nothing but Beatles merch, they only kind of shopping I get excited about.

My favorite Beatle.


True to form, food accompanied a good event, and we went to Cravings after the show. We had 30 minutes left before they closed, so immediately after being seated, we all hurried around the giant buffet, collecting plates of as much food as we could manage before they started putting it away. I should have taken a picture of the table. We had 9 of us at the table, with at least 3-4 plates each crammed in front of us, and we started shoveling it in as quickly as possible, only pausing to get up and run over to the dessert bars for 8 different kinds of gelato. I was so smart to wear a flowy top and stretchy leggings (I know, I know...I wore leggings as pants. A thousand pardons, for my hypocrisy). Had I worn pants, I'm certain they would have been unbuttoned as we walked down the Strip. I have no shame.

The next morning, we joined the "Popeovich's" for a massive, delicious, loud breakfast and it was lovely. Being with people you truthfully don't know well, but feel completely comfortable around, that makes a meal extra tasty. While Spouse was being chased around the house by kids, I sat in the kitchen and watched the ladies make us a breakfast feast. (What is it about kitchen conversations that are always so unique?) We spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and laughing and lounging. Don't worry! We ate well that night, too! Thank you Lucille's Smokehouse, for reminding me that I can still eat a gigantic plate of  BBQ nachos, and that good Southern food can be found west of the Mississippi. I smiled inside as we all ordered different things and proceeded to take food off of one another's plates. It felt like family. 

Afterwards, we hung out with Tage while everyone else went to the Michael Jackson "One" show. It was cute to see Spouse taking care of little man, carrying him on his shoulders and holding his little hand. 

This picture does neither of them justice.


Before we headed out of town, we had lunch with some friends* from back home, that currently live in Vegas. The food-bonding took place at Wicked Spoon, which was SO delicious. Everything I ate was delicious. The conversation was delicious as well. Delicious in the way that it was deeply satisfying. I know that I've shared very little of our fertility struggles, but for now I'm OK with that. This sweet couple, on the other hand, has had severe struggles for the past 7 years on their journey to start a family. Although my heart aches for them, I am optimistic for them as well. I especially enjoyed being able to commiserate, in a way, with them.  "That medication made me sick too... Yes, it's incredibly frustrating... They said what to you?...Some people have no idea...One day...Some day..." It was weird; my belly was happy, my heart was heavy, but hopeful at the same  time. It was nice, cathartic even, to talk with people who have felt and experienced what you are presently feeling. It made me feel less alone. I hope their time to be parents is soon, they are totally deserving and wanting. 

And so it is, family, friends and food, some of my favorite "f" words. I wonder what the next meal will bring with it. 



Here are some words set to music:

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss- Killing The Blues

Katy Perry- Roar (Thanks for your judgement)

Tom Petty- You Don't Know How It Feels

The Hunts- Make This Leap  (Yes, off of the Wishbone commercial.)


*(To read more about Jacob and Leisa's story, visit their blog at http://embracingtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com) 

2 comments:

  1. It was SO great to have you both there (The part with the big white parachute was "Octopus' Garden) and I'm glad you felt at home. PLEASE come with us again, because, yes, we will be seeing that fabulous show again and again...and we'll be sure to eat our brains out as well...
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary! I knew I could count on you to remember that song for me! We will absolutely be there next time. Thank you for always treating us like family. We sure love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Type words here...